Choosing the right dog house could be the difference between a happy and healthy dog, and a melancholy and sickly dog. That’s right. Keeping your dog warm in the winter and cool in the summer is important for their health and happiness.
But there are so many options for dog houses available – which one do you buy. That will depend on your dog, your lifestyle and the features you prefer so let’s take a look at a list of the best dog houses on Amazon.
1. Petsfit No Assembly Portable Wooden Dog House
This house lends a simple aesthetic look to its functionality. The best part about it is that you can fold it down flat when you aren’t using it or when you want to move it. It is 31x20x24 inches total which can fit two medium sized dogs inside comfortably.
- Very easy to set up
- Wooden frame with no foul paint odor
- Suitable for both indoor and outdoor use
- It’s a bit on the heavier side
- Not the best for insulation
2. Petmate Barnhome III Dog House
This is a lightweight doghouse with rear ventilation and a top that comes off for easy cleaning. It has outside dimensions of 29x38x30 inches so it is ideal for a single medium sized dog or a large dog if they like to curl up.
- Easy to clean
- Good for cats as well
- Comes from a reputable manufacturer
- Does not come with a mat
- The opening is a little small for our liking
3. Best Pet Supplies Corduroy Tent Bed for Pets
This one made on our list because quite simply, it is very unique and our pets really find it comfortable. It is in the shape of a tent, is made of faux suede and has plenty of padding. It’s dimensions are 19x19x19 so it is good for a medium sized dog or a couple of cats at best.
- Extremely comfortable
- Good aesthetic appeal
- Can be washed in the machine
- Does not ventilate well
- Accumulates a smell over time
4. INDIGO W/MICROBAN Pet House
This is a great outdoor doghouse. It is large (43x34x25 inches), has a ventilated top, moats on the side and seals to keep your dog dry even in the rain. It is also insulated so it protects from heat and cold temperatures as well. The base is also raised to prevent moisture and mold.
- Large enough for big dogs
- Great insulation features
- Made from a trusted manufacturer
- Best for outdoor use
- The door is only 14 inches high
5. Suncast Outdoor Dog House with Door
We like this one because of the tall door and because it can accommodate medium-large sized dogs. It is an outdoor house with measurements of 35x27x29 and the top half snaps off easily for when you need to clean it. It has crowned floors and features a vinyl door.
- Can be hosed off to clean
- Fair price for a large house
- Tall and wide door
- It is not insulated
- Comes in only one color
6. Suncast Outdoor Dog House with Door
Another outdoor doghouse by Suncast that sports a nice design, plastic construction with a vinyl doggy door. At 35x27x29 this house can accommodate dogs that are up to 70lbs. The door is tall and wide enough for most large dogs and the top half comes off for easy cleaning.
- Comes with customizable name lettering
- Good for large dogs
- Relatively lightweight
- Not well insulated
- Our dogs didn’t find this one too comfortable
7. AmazonBasics Single Door & Double Door Folding Metal Dog Crate
This product is actually a crate and it comes in a variety of sizes, the smallest being 22 inches and the largest 48 inches. It is a great basic crat for transporting your pets or crate training. It is also collapsible, sports a metal construction and the bottom plastic pan is detachable.
- Comes in a variety of sizes
- Comes in single and double door varieties
- Doesn’t come with a mat
- Not suitable to use as an outdoor dog house
8. Petsfit Dog House, Dog House Outdoor
This cedar constructed doghouse comes in three sizes for small, medium and large dogs. What we like most about this doghouse though is that it has a weatherproof roof that is slanted so rain and moisture doesn’t pool. The roof also comes off for when you need to clean it.
- Elevated base for air flow
- Very handsome doghouse
- Constructed of pest-proof wood
- Needs assembly
- The doors are rather small
9. Portable Indoor Pet House
If you are more concerned about comfort and need a house for indoors then this may be the one for you. It is a fully padded 16x14x14 pet house (for cats as well) and lined with poly-foam. It also comes with an additional padded mat.
- Great for a comfortable indoor house/bed
- Cats like it too
- Machine washable
- Folds easily under pressure
- Can get too warm
10. Indoor Outdoor Dog House Small to Medium Pet
We always liked raised floors so this one made our list. What we also liked about this house is that it has a high door and is very easy to clean. It allows for good ventilation and features dimensions of 24x30x26.
- Comes in three colors
- Very simple design
- Very durable
- Not ideal for large dogs
- Requires some assembly
11. Furhaven Pet Dog Bed & Cat Bed House
If you are looking for an indoor doghouse that will blend in with your furniture this is the one for you. It pretty much looks like an ottoman and comes in a variety of colors. The roof is removable and padded and the flooring is padded and covered with fleece too.
- Very comfortable for cats and dogs
- Comes in 3 different sizes
- You can easily insert your own bedding or blankets
- Hard to clean
- Subpar ventilation
12. Lucky Dog Uptown Welded Wire Kennel
This is technically a kennel but it can also be a good outdoor house under the right weather condition. It is very spacious, comes with a weatherproof roof covering, secure locks and a sturdy design. As a metal mesh kennel it ventilates well and the roof cover protects from UV rays.
- Makes a good cat enclosure too
- Rust-resistant steel
- Good locking system
- Not ideal in the rain
- Not easily portable
13. Arf Frame Dog House with Dark Frame
This is another raised base doghouse that may have the best aesthetic design of all the entries in this list. It is made of cedar wood so it is good against pest infestation and essentially looks like an A-frame cabin. It is also fairly lightweight so moving it around is easy.
- Very good looking
- Provides good insulation
- Made of non-toxic materials
- Not very spacious
- Requires some assembly
14. Petnation Port-A-Crate Indoor and Outdoor Home for Pets
This is a fully-collapsible crate that is unique in that it features a mesh fabric outer layer that goes over the wire framing of the crate itself which is more comfortable for pets than conventional crates. It is also very easy to fold down and carry.
- Makes kenneling your dog very easy
- Comes in a variety of sizes
- Features a roll-up door and windows
- The mesh can be easily perforated by claws
- Zippers can get caught
15. Internet’s Best Wood & Wire Dog Crate with Cushion
If you are looking to make a statement with your dog’s crate than this is probably the best option. This is no ordinary crate. It sports an elegant design, double doors and internal dimensions of 21x30x24 inches. The top is also solid so you can actually put things on top of it.
- Comes with a mat
- Doubles as a crate and a house
- Easy to assemble
- Rather pricey
- Cumbersome to carry around
For the most part, our dogs found all of the entries in this list to be comfortable and we included in it ones that are good for indoor and outdoor use and those that are good for different climates.
For our money however, we think the INDIGO W/MICROBAN Pet House is a great buy because of all of the advanced features that are great for keeping your dog warm and dry in the rain and cool in the heat. It is touted as an outdoor house but you can put it in a garage as well. We encourage you to check out any and all of these great doghouses for yourself!